Xi Chen Associate Professor
Department of Earth and Environmental Engineering
• Associate Professor, Department of Earth and Environmental Engineering, Columbia University, July 2009-present.
• Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University, Jan 2007-June 2009.
• Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University, July 2003-Dec 2006.
• Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Harvard University, May 2001-June 2003. Advisor: Professor John W. Hutchinson.
• Ph.D., Solid Mechanics, Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, May 2001. Advisor: Professor John W. Hutchinson.
Thesis Title: Foreign Object Damage and Fatigue Cracking.
• S.M., Engineering Science, Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, May 1998. Advisor: Professors John W. Hutchinson and Anthony G. Evans.
• M.E., Engineering Mechanics, Department of Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, June 1997. Advisor: Professor Keh-Chih Hwang.
Thesis Title: Study of micromechanics constitutive relations for ferroelectric single crystal with domain switching.
• B.E., Engineering Mechanics, Department of Engineering Mechanics, Xi’an Jiaotong University, June 1994.
• Engineering Mechanics: Using multi-scale, multi-phase and multi-physics modeling and experimental approaches, to investigate engineering mechanics frontiers in novel materials addressing challenges in energy and environment, nanomechanics, and mechanobiology, and to achieve an understanding of the underlying mechanical behaviors of advanced materials.
Recent Publications, Presentations and Events
1. Jianbing Zhao^, Ling Liu^, Patricia J. Culligan and Xi Chen*, Thermal Effect on the Dynamic Infiltration of Water into Single-walled Carbon Nanotubes. Physical Review E, revision submitted.
2. Bo Sun，Qulan Zhou, Xi Chen*, Tongmo Xu, Shien Hui, Effect of Particle Size in a Limestone-Hydrochloric Acid Reaction System. Journal of Hazardous Materials, under review.
3. Ling Liu^ and Xi Chen*, Effect of Surface Roughness on Thermal Conductivity of Silicon Nanowires. Journal of Applied Physics, under review.
4. Ling Liu^, Xi Chen*, Aijie Han, and Yu Qiao, Effects of Anion Size and Concentration on Electrolyte Infiltration into Molecular-sized Nanopores. New Journal of Physics, under review.
5. Jianbing Zhao^, Patricia J. Culligan, Yu Qiao and Xi Chen*, Electrolyte solution transport in electropolar nanotube. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, revision submitted.
6. Hui Fang^, Tiejun Wang and Xi Chen*, Model updating of lattice structures: A substructure potential energy (SPE) approach. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, under review.
7. Baoxing Xu^, Akio Yonezu, and Xi Chen*, An Indentation Fatigue Strength Law. Philosophical Magazine Letters, under review.
8. Joel Goldman^, Chun-Yang Yin^, and Xi Chen*, Increased concrete permeability via controlled hydraulic fatigue technique. Materials and Structures, under review.
9. Na Li^, Qulan Zhou^, Dejuan Kong, Xi Chen*, Tongmo Xu and Shien Hui, Mass transfer characteristics in double-contact-flow absorber with liquid column/screen flow type: Modeling and experiment, Chemical Engineering Science, revision submitted.
10. Jianbing Zhao^, Patricia J. Culligan and Xi Chen*, Experimental Study on Energy Dissipation of Electrolyte in Nanopores. Langmuir, in press.
11. Baoxing Xu^, Xi Chen* and Haim Waisman, Crack propagation toward a desired path by controlling force direction. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, in press.
12. Qulan Zhou^, Na Li^, Xi Chen, Tongmo Xu and Shien Hui, Flow Field of Water Drops in Blade Channel: Numerical Analysis of Water Drop Erosion on Turbine Blades, International Journal of Turbo and Jet Engines, in press.
13. Akio Yonezu, Baoxing Xu^ and Xi Chen*, An Experimental Methodology for Characterizing Fracture of Hard Thin Films under Cyclic Contact Loading. Thin Solid Films, in press.
14. Jianbing Zhao^, Yu Qiao, Patricia J. Culligan and Xi Chen*, Confined Liquid Flow in Nanotube: A Numerical Study and Implications for Energy Absorption, Journal of Theoretical and Computational Nanoscience, invited paper, cover article, in press.
15. Ling Liu^, Jianbing Zhao^, Patricia J. Culligan, Yu Qiao and Xi Chen*, Thermally Responsive Fluid Behaviors in Hydrophobic Nanopores. Langmuir, 2009, 25: 11862–11868.
16. Weiyi Lu, Taewan Kim, Aijie Han, Xi Chen and Yu Qiao, Eletrowetting Effect in a Nanoporous Silica, Langmuir, 2009, 25: 9463–9466.
17. Ling Liu^, Jianbing Zhao^, Chun-Yang Yin^, Patricia J. Culligan, and Xi Chen*, Mechanisms of Water Infiltration into Conical Hydrophobic Nanopores. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2009, 11: 6520-6524.
18. Ling Liu^, Xi Chen, Aijie Han, and Yu Qiao, Infiltration of Electrolytes into Molecular-Sized Nanopores, Physical Review Letters, 2009, 102: 184501.
19. Ling Liu^ and Xi Chen*, Nanofluidic Transport in Branching Nanochannels: A Molecular Sieve Based on Y-Junction Nanotubes. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2009, 113: 6468-6472.
20. Zhongguo Sun^, Guang Xi and Xi Chen*, Mechanism Study of Deformation and Mass Transfer for Binary Droplet Collisions with Particle Method, Physics of Fluids, 2009, 21: 032106.
21. Yu Qiao, Ling Liu^ and Xi Chen*, Pressurized Liquid in Nanopores: A Modified Laplace-Young Equation, Nano Letters, 2009, 9: 984-988.
22. Baoxing Xu^, Zhufeng Yue, and Xi Chen*, An indentation fatigue depth propagation law. Scripta Materialia, 2009, 60: 854-857.
23. Zhongguo Sun^, Guang Xi and Xi Chen*, Numerical simulation of binary collisions using a modified surface tension model with particle method, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 2009, 239: 619-627.
24. Qulan Zhou^, Qinxin Zhao, Xi Chen*, Tongmo Xu and Shien Hui, A Dimensionless Factor Characterizing the Ignition of Pulverized Coal Flow: Analytical Model, Experimental Verification, and Application. International Journal of Energy Research, 2009, 33: 235-254.
25. Weiyi Lu, Aijie Han, Taewan Kim, Venkata K. Punyamurtula, Xi Chen, Yu Qiao, Field-Responsive Ion Transport in Nanopores, Applied Physics Letters, 2009, 94: 023106.
26. Taewan Kim, Venkata K. Punyamurtula, Weiyi Lu, Aijie Han, Venkata K. Punyamurtula, Xi Chen and Yu Qiao, Effects of anion concentration on ion-transport pressure in nanopores. Applied Physics Letters, 2009, 94: 013105.
27. Zhongguo Sun^, Guang Xi and Xi Chen*, A Numerical Study of Stir Mixing of Liquids with Particle Method, Chemical Engineering Science, 2009, 64: 341-350.
28. Guoxin Cao^, Yu Qiao, Qulan Zhou^ and Xi Chen*, Water Infiltration Behaviors in Carbon Nanotubes under Static and Dynamic Loading Conditions, Molecular Simulation, invited paper, 2008, 34: 1267-1274.
29. Na Li^, Qulan Zhou^, Xi Chen*, Tongmo Xu, Shien Hui and Di Zhang, Liquid Drop Impact on Solid Surface with Application to Water Drop Erosion on Turbine Blades, Part I: Nonlinear wave model and solution of one-dimensional impact, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2008, 50: 1526-1542.
30. Qulan Zhou^, Na Li^, Xi Chen*, Tongmo Xu, Shien Hui and Di Zhang, Liquid Drop Impact on Solid Surface with Application to Water Drop Erosion on Turbine Blades, Part II:
Office: 905E SW Mudd Building
Department of Earth and Environmental Engineering
918 SW Mudd Building, 500 West 120th Street,
New York, NY 10027
Phone: (212) 854-3787; Fax: (212) 854-7081
Group Webpage: http://www.columbia.edu/~xc2107