Xudong Yang Professor
Department of Building Science, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University，Beijing 100084，China
REASEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Sustainable technologies for China’s rural housing
Indoor air pollutant sources and control technologies
Environment control technologies in aircraft cabin and hospitals
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1999
Doctor of Philosophy in Building Technology
Thermal Engineering, Tsinghua University, 1993
Master in Thermal Engineering
Thermal Engineering, Tsinghua University, 1988
Bachelor in Thermal Engineering
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Chang-Jiang Professor and Deputy Director (07/2005-present) Department of Building Science, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, Deputy Director (2008-present)
University of Miami, USA
Assistant Professor (09/1999-05/2005)
Associate Professor (tenured) (06/2005-07/2005)
Research Projects (since 2005)
1. Non-linear pollutant generation and transport in low-pressure aircraft cabins, Principal Investigator, funded by Chinese National Key Fundamental Research Program (“973” program), 2012-2016
2. Human to human pollutant transport in ventilated rooms, Principal Investigator, funded by National Science Foundation of China 2012-2015
3. Study on rural building thermal environment and energy conservation technologies, Principal Investigator, funded by National Science Foundation of China (key project)，2011-2014
4. Rural building energy conservation scenario analysis and health impact evaluation, Principal Investigator, funded by Tsinghua University，2011-2014
5. Curtain wall solar heating unit development, Principal Investigator, funded by Beijing Commission of Science and Technology, 2011-2012
6. A database of volatile organic compounds (VOC) emission in aircraft cabins through the cabin materials and operations of the airplanes，Principal Investigator, funded by the Boeing Company, 2007-present
7. Building natural ventilation study，Principal Investigator, funded by Ministry of Science and Technology, China, 2011-2012
8. China Building Sector Cost Curve Development in support of Building Energy Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Abatement Research and Analysis，Principal Investigator, funded by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory，2011-2012
9. Investigation of China residential energy characteristics, Principal Investigator, funded by Panasonic Corp. 2010-2011
10. VOC sorption and indoor air quality modeling, Principal Investigator, funded by China National Natural Science Foundation, 2009-2011
11. Indoor Chemical Pollutant Control Study, Principal Investigator, funded by China Ministry of Education, 2008-2009
12. Simulation and Software Development for Indoor Chemical Pollutant Control, Principal Investigator, funded by China Ministry of Science and Technology, 2006-2010
13. Key Technologies for Improving Indoor Environment of Chinese Rural Areas, Principal Investigator, funded by China Ministry of Science and Technology, 2006-2010
14. Passive solar Housing Design and Relevant Technological Development in Beijing, Principal Investigator, funded by Beijing Municipal Science & Technology Commission, 01/2007-12/2007
15. Rural housing energy use and environment survey in Northern China, Principal Investigator, funded by Tsinghua University, China Ministry of Agriculture and Beijing Tsinghua Urban Planning & Design Institute, 2006-2007
16. Rural housing energy-saving demonstration in Fangshan district, Beijing, Principal Investigator, funded by Beijing Municipal Commission of Urban Planning, 2007
17. Modeling VOC Sorption of Building Materials and Its Impact on Indoor Air Quality - Phase II (Second Phase of RP-1097), Principal Investigator, funded by ASHRAE, 10/2007-10/2009
18. Strategy Research on Air Distribution of Clean Air-Conditioning of Novel ISO Class 5 Clean Ward Chinese PLA General Hospital, Principal Investigator, funded by Chinese PLA General Hospital, 2007-2008
19. Study on Building Material VOC Emission and Transport, Principal Investigator, funded by China Ministry of Education (Project number: 20060003065), 01/2007-12/2009
20. Indoor Air pollutant Control Laboratory Construction, Principal Investigator, funded by the Shanghai Bo-Cheng Architecture Design Company, 2006.1-2006.10
21. Key Problems of Using Photocatalytic Oxidation to Decompose Indoor VOCs and Microbiological Contaminants, Co-Principal Investigator, funded by China National Natural Science Foundation, 2005-2008
International Journal Editorship
Editor-in-Chief, Building Simulation: An International Journal
Associate Editor, Building and Environment
Editorial Board Member, Energy and Buildings
Editorial Board Member, Journal of the IEST
HONORS AND AWARDS
1. ASHRAE Fellow in 2011
2. ISIAQ Fellow in 2011
3. The third prize of Beijing Science and Technology Progress Award in 2010
4. ASHRAE Distinguished Service Award in 2008
5. Chang-Jiang endowed professorship, Ministry of Education and Lee Foundation in 2005
6. Sci. & Tech. Advanced Award by China Ministry of Education in 2000
7. Special Emphasis Research Career Award (Second Prize, List in Third) of Centers for Disease Control & Prev.（SERCA）in 2000
8. New Investigator Awards of ASHRAE in 2000
9. MIT Martin Society of Graduate Fellows for Sustainability in 1999
10. Life Member Club award and Grant-in-Aid award of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) in 1998
11. Excellent Young Faculty Award of Tsinghua University (China) in 1993
12. Award for Research Achievements, China Academy of Building Research in 1990
PROFESSIONAL AFFILITIONS AND ACTIVITIES
Other Professional Services
Executive Committee Member, IEA-ECBCS, 2012
Special consultant, China Committee of HVAC , 2009
Scientific Committee, Building Security and Environment National Key Laboratory, 2007
1. Shan Ming, Yang Ming, Yang Xudong.Renewable energy utilization in Chinese buildings: technology development and demonstration projects. ASHRAE Transactions, 2012, V 118 PART 1, 508-513.
2. Ming Yang, Pengsu Wang, Xudong Yang, Ming Shan. Experimental analysis on thermal performance of a solar air collector with a single pass. Building and Environment, 2012, V56, 361-369
3. Liang W., Gao P. Guan J. and Yang X. Modeling volatile organic compound (VOC) concentrations due to material emissions in a real residential unit. Part Ⅰ: Methodology and a preliminary case study. Building Simulation. 2012, 5(4): 351-357.
4. Yang M., Wang P., Yang X. and Shan M. Experimental analysis on thermal performance of a solar air collector with a single pass. Building and Environment. 2012, 56: 361-369.
5. Tang F. and Yang X. A "deactivation" kinetic model for predicting the performance of photocatalytic degradation of indoor toluene, o-xylene, and benzene. Building and Environment. 2012, 56: 329-334.
6. Li Q., Sun X., Chen C. and Yang X. Characterizing the household energy consumption in heritage Nanjing Tulou buildings, China: A comparative field survey study. Energy and Buildings. 2012, 49: 317-326.
7. Deng, Q., Yang, X. , Zhang J.S. Key Factor Analysis of VOC Sorption and Its Impact on Indoor Pollutant Concentrations: the Role of Ventilation. Building and Environment. 2012, 47: 182-187
8. Chun Chen, Bin Zhao, Xudong Yang. Impact of two-way airflow due to temperature difference on preventing the entry of outdoor particles using indoor positive pressure control method. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2011, 186: 1290-1299
9. Chun Chen, Bin Zhao, Xudong Yang. Preventing the entry of outdoor particles using indoor positive pressure control method: Analysis of influencing factors and cost. Building and Environment. 2011, 46: 1167-1173
10. Chun Chen, Bin Zhao, Xudong Yang, Yuguo Li. Role of two-way airflow owing to temperature difference in SARS transmission-Revisiting the largest nosocomial SARS outbreak in Hong Kong. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 2011. 8: 699-710
11. Chen, FN; Yang, X; Mak, HKC; Chan, DWT. 2010. Photocatalytic oxidation for antimicrobial control in built environment: A brief literature overview, Building and Environment 45 (8):1747-1754 2010
12. Deng Q., Yang, X., Zhang, J. 2010. A new method to evaluate volatile organic compound sorption capacity of building materials, HVAC&R Research 2010,16(1) : 95-105
13. Caiqing Yang, Hui Shi, Xudong Yang, Bin Zhao. 2010. Research on Flow Resistance Characteristics with Different Window/Door Opening Angles, HVAC&R Research 2010,16(6) : 813-824
14. Gao P., Deng Q, Yang X. 2010. Impact of air pressure on volatile organic compound emissions from a carpet, Journal of Central South University of Technology.
15. Yang, X., Jiang, Y., Yang, M., Shan, M. 2010. Energy and environment in Chinese rural housing: current status and future perspective. Front. Energy Power Eng. China, 4(1):35-46.
16. Xu, Y., Yang, X., Yang, C. and Srebric, J. 2009. Contaminant dispersion with personal displacement ventilation, Part I: Base case study. Building and Environment, 44(10): 2121-2128.
17. Yang, C., Yang, X., Sun, L. and Gong, W. 2009. Optimization of bathroom ventilation design for an ISO Class 5 clean ward, Building Simulation, 2(2): 133-142．
18. Zhao, B., Yang, C., Chen, C., Feng, C., Yang, X., Sun, L., Gong, W. and Yu, L. 2009. How Many Airborne Particles Emitted from a Nurse will Reach the Breathing Zone/Body Surface of the patient Environments?-A numerical Analysis. Aerosol Science and Technology. 43(10): 990-1005
19. Chen, F., Yang, X., Wu, Q. 2009. Photocatalytic oxidation of Escherischia coli, Aspergillus niger and formaldehyde under different UV irradiation conditions, Environmental Science & Technology 43(12): 4606-4611
20. Chen, F., Yang, X., Xu, F., Wu, Q., Zhang, Y, 2009. Correlation of Photocatalytic Bactericidal Effect and Organic Matter Degradation of TiO2 Part I: Observation of Phenomena, Environmental Science & Technology 43(4):1180-1184
21. Deng, Q., Yang, X., Zhang, J. 2009. Study on a new correlation between diffusion coefficient and temperature in porous building materials, Atmospheric Environment, 43, 2080-2083.
22. Deng, Q., Zhang, J.S., Yang, X. 2009a. The validation of a VOC diffusion sink model based on full-scale chamber test (RP-1321), ASHRAE Transactions 115.
23. Chen, F., Yang, X., Wu, Q., 2009. Antifungal capability of TiO2 coated film on moist wood, Building and Environment 44(5):1088-1093
24. Yan, W., Yang, X., Shan, M., 2009. How to simplify computer simulated person (CSP) for modeling personal microenvironment: comparison and case studies, ASHRAE Transaction
25. Yang, X. 2008. Building simulation: new journal, new start, Building Simulation (Editorial) 1 (2008) 1-4.
26. Yang, X., Zhang, Y., 2008. Modeling, assessment, and control of indoor air quality, Building and Environment (Editorial) 43 (2008) 237
27. Srebric, J., Vukovic, V., He, G., Yang, X. 2008. CFD boundary conditions for contaminant dispersion simulations around human occupants in indoor environments, Building and Environment 43 (2008) 294-303
28. Yan, D., Song, F., Yang, X., Jiang, Y. et al. 2008. An integrated modeling tool for simultaneous analysis of thermal performance and indoor air quality in buildings, Building and Environment 43 (2008) 287-293
29. T Song, B Zhao, X Yang, Y Jiang, VP Gopal, G Dobbs. 2008. A new approach on zonal modeling of indoor environment with mechanical ventilation. Building and Environment 43 (2008) 278-286
30. Yang, X. and Wang, Y. 2008. Photocatalytic effect on plasmid DNA damage under different UV irradiation time. Building and Environment 43 (2008) 253-257
31. B Zhao, C. Yang, X Yang, S. Liu 2008. Particle dispersion and deposition in ventilated rooms: Testing and evaluation of different Eulerian and Lagrangian models. Building and Environment 43 (2008) 388-397
32. Chen, Q., Yang, X., Zhao, B. Particles, Aerosols, and Their Transport in the Built Environment (editorial), Atmospheric Environment, 41 (2007) 5179-5180.
33. Li, Y., Leung, G.M., Tang, J., Yang, X., Chao, C., Lin, J.Z., Lu, J. etc. 2007. The role of ventilation in the airborne transmission of infectious agents in built environment – a multi-disciplinary systematic review, Indoor Air, 17, 2-18.
34. Liu, Z., Zhao, B., Yang, X. 2007. A method for calculating a ventilation bypass factor, Indoor and Built Environment 16(5), 472-481.
35. James, J.P. and Yang, X. 2007. Healthy and energy-efficient housing in hot and humid climates: a model design, Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology, 14 Sup., 310-313.
36. James, J. and Yang, X. 2005. Emission measurement of green and non-green materials used in buildings, Indoor and Built Environment, 14(1), 69-74
37. He, G. and Yang, X. 2005. On regression method to obtain emission parameters of building materials, Building and Environment 40, 1282-1287.
38. He, G., Yang, X., Srebric, J. 2005. Removal of contaminants released from room surfaces by displacement and mixing ventilation: modeling and validation, Indoor Air 15(5), 367-380.
39. Wang, Y., Yang, X., Wang, Y., Wang, YB., Han, ZY. 2005. Disinfection and bactericidal effect using photocatalytic oxidation, HKIE Transactions – Special Edition. 39-43.
40. He, G., Yang, X. and Shaw, C.Y. 2005. Material emission parameters obtained through regression, Indoor and Built Environment 14(1), 59-68.
41. He, G., Yang, X., Srebric, J. 2005. Effects of Source Location on Contaminant Dispersion in a Displacement Ventilated Room, ASHRAE Transactions Vol 111, Part 1.
42. Zhao, B., Wu, P., Song, F., Yan, D., Yang, X., Li, X., Jiang, Y. 2004. Numerical simulation of indoor PM distribution in the whole year by zonal model, Indoor and Built Environment 13(6), 453-462.
43. Yang, X., Srebric, J. Li, X., He G. 2004. Performance of three air distribution systems in VOC removal from an area source, Building and Environment 39(11), 1289-1299.
44. Li, D., Li, X., Guo, Y., Yang, J., Yang, X. 2004. A generalized algorithm for simulating contaminant distribution in complex ventilation systems with re-circulation, Numerical Heat Transfer Part A – Applications, 45(6), 583-599.
45. Zhao, B., Li, X., Zhang, Y., Yang, X., Huang, D. 2004. Comparison of indoor aerosol particle concentration and deposition in different ventilated rooms by numerical method, Building and Environment 39(1), 1-8.
46. Zhao, B., Zhang, Z., Yang, X., Li, X., and Huang, D. 2004. Numerical analysis of micro-climate of desk displacement ventilation, Journal of the IEST Vol. 47, No. 2.
47. Zhao, B., Cao, L., Li, X., Yang, X., Huang, D. 2004. Comparison of indoor environment of a local concentrated clean room at dynamic and steady status by numerical method. Journal of the IEST Vol. 47, No. 1.
48. Zhao, J. and Yang, X. 2003. Photocatalytic oxidation for indoor air purification: a literature review, Building and Environment 38, 645-654.
49. Li, D., Li, X., Yang, X., Dou, C. 2003. "Total air age in the room ventilated by multiple air handling units: Part 1, an algorithm," ASHRAE Transactions, 109 (2), 829-836.
50. Li, X., Li, D., Yang, X., Yang, J. 2003. "Total air age: an extension of the air age concept," Building and Environment, 38, 1263-1269.
51. Shi, W., Shao, S., Li, X., Peng, X., Yang, X. 2003. “A network model to simulate performance of variable refrigerant volume refrigeration systems,” ASHRAE Transaction. 109 (2), 61-68.
52. Ren, H., Zhao, B., Li, X., Fan, H., Yang, X. 2003. Influence of diffuser jet characteristics on indoor air distribution under actual connecting conditions, Journal of Architectural Engineering, 9(4), 141-144.
53. Wang B., Zhang M., Li X., Yang X. 2003. Experimental investigation of discharge performance and temperature distribution of an external melt ice-on-coil storage tank, HVAC&R Research 9 (3), 291-308.
54. Zhang, J., Zhang, J.S., Chen, Q., and Yang, X. 2002. A critical review on studies of volatile organic compound (VOC) sorption by building materials, ASHRAE Transactions, 108(1).
55. Yang, X., Chen, Q., Zeng, J., Zhang, J.S., and Shaw, C.Y. 2001. A mass transfer model for simulating VOC sorption on building materials, Atmospheric Environment, 35(7), 1291-1299.
56. Yang, X., Chen, Q., Zeng, J., Zhang, J.S., and Shaw, C.Y. 2001. A mass transfer model for simulating volatile organic compound emissions from 'wet' coating materials applied to absorptive substrates, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 44(9), 1803-1815.
57. Yang, X., Chen, Q., Zeng, J., Zhang, J.S., Nong, G., and Shaw, C.Y. 2001. Effects of airflow on VOC emissions from 'wet' coating materials: experimental measurements and numerical simulation, ASHRAE Transactions, 107(1).
58. Yang, X., Chen, Q., Zhang, J.S, Magee, R. Zeng, J. and Shaw, C.Y. 2001. Numerical simulation of VOC emissions from dry materials, Building and Environment, 36(10), 1099-1107.
59. Yang, X., Chen, Q. Zeng, J., Zhang, J.S., and Shaw, C.Y. 2001. Effects of environmental and test conditions on VOC emissions from "wet" coating materials, Indoor Air, 11, 270-278.
60. Yang, X. and Chen, Q. 2001. A coupled airflow and source/sink model for simulating indoor VOC exposures, Indoor Air, 11, 257-269.
61. Yuan, X., Chen, Q., Glicksman, L.R., Hu, Y., and Yang, X. 1999. Measurements and computations of room airflow with displacement ventilation, ASHRAE Transactions 105(1) 340-352.
62. Yang, X., Chen, Q., and Zhang, J. 1998. Impact of early stage incomplete mixing on estimating VOC emissions in small test chambers, Indoor Air, 8, 180-189.
63. Yang, X., Chen, Q. and Bluyssen, P.M. 1998. Prediction of short-term and long-term volatile organic compound emissions from SBR bitumen-backed carpet under different temperatures, ASHRAE Transactions, 104(2), 1297-1308.
64. Jiang, Y., Li, J. and Yang, X. 1995. Fault direction space method for on-line fault detection, ASHRAE Transactions, 101(2), 219-228.
1. Xudong Yang: Study of Building Material Emissions and Indoor Air Quality, Ph.D. Dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 09/1999.
2. Xudong Yang, Zhuling Zheng, Ming Shan, Tao Li: Energy Efficient Housing Technologies in Rural Areas (in Chinese), China Social Press, 2006.
3. Xudong Yang: Environmental Engineering: Environmental Health and Safety for Municipal Infrastructure, Land Use and Planning, and Industry, 6th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, 2009, Author for “Chapter 2: Residential and Institutional Environment”. 2009, 83-176.
4. Jiming Wang, Cheng Pu, Zhengrong Tu, Xudong Yang, Geng Xie: Building Equipment and Engineering (in Chinese), China Architectural and Construction Press, 2007.
5. Tsinghua Building Energy Research Center: Annual Research Progress Report on China Building Energy Efficiency, China Architectural and Construction Press, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012.